Saturday, May 9, 2009

Beyond Good & Evil 2 teaser

Oh my god Kotaku has a teaser for Beyond Good and Evil 2! It's like Mirror's Edge meets Assassin's Creed!




Beyond Good and Evil is one of my favorite games of all time, and totally ranks with the best Gamecube titles like Wind Waker and Eternal Darkness. The tone and style were just immediately captivating, and it has one of the few video game stories I've ever found memorable.

You play as Jade, an idealistic photojournalist whose home doubles as a foster care center. Wait, wait, stay with me! As you explore the town, 3D Zelda-style, you use your camera to investigate the ruling hegemony called Alpha Section. The Alpha Section is being threatened by the IRIS Network and soon both sides want to recruit Jade. The streets are full of people watching and reacting to propaganda on big screens in the city squares. It's really amazing.

Another big aspect of the game is Jade's side job as a nature photographer, and there are side quests in a variety of environments. It's really quite peaceful, and the sounds and colors in the design are charming and pleasant.

This teaser looks to be based on the Assassin's Creed engine, also developed by Ubisoft. I wasn't a big fan of the repetitive mission structure and passive missions like Eavesdropping in Assassin's Creed. I did really enjoy some of the fluid running and jumping offered by the engine and the "marionette" control scheme though. I'm imagining that gameplay paired with a Michel Ancel sequel to BG&E and I'm very excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Linked In Badge

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Followers

    About Me

    I'm a tech geek who soaks up information like a sponge. I like the usual geeky stuff like comics, movies, sci fi, computers and video games.